Sunday, March 10, 2013

Handmade Knitting Needle Cases

I had this problem.  Too many knitting needles to fit into this pink box.


Oh, yes, there are several needles for every size from 0 to 13 (no room for the bigger ones).  I was always frustrated digging through them trying to find the ones I needed.

I looked for a nice needle case (one that was actually designed for the job), but they are expensive! And I could not find one that I loved enough to pay $40+.

So I did what any girl who took home ec in high school would do.  I pulled out my sewing machine, dug around in my fabrics, found some notions and made my own.


And the best part  - -  I already had everything! I re-purposed an old denim jumper that I used to wear, an old ironing board cover (see the one with the green, blue, yellow and pink stripes), a yellow and white fat-quarter square I bought sometime ago at a quilt shop because I liked it, binding tape and snaps.  How's that for savings!?!


Here are a few features you might not notice right away:

Tie closures...

Snaps to keep my needles secure...


They roll up just like the store-bought ones...



So they are easy to tuck into my knitting bag just in case I stumble upon a new project which I must start immediately (that happens occasionally).



Some things are just better when you make them yourself.  ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment